Skip to content

Chocolate Cake with fresh whipped cream

December 30, 2008

Two posts in a row for Miss Faith! It was her birthday early December, but since she was away we had to post-pone celebrating until last week. I ended up making the same cake twice in one week. Faith is more of a decadent chocolate person rather then cakes in funny shapes. So I used Smitten Kitchen’s amazing chocolate cake recipe. The coffee really enhanced the flavors. It didn’t need to bake as long as she suggested, also less baking made for a more fudgy taste.

The layers were so big that I sliced them in half to make a 4 layer cake. It was probably more then 4 ladies needed, but what’s life without indulgences? Inside was vanilla pudding, fresh strawberries and bananas. I made fresh whipped cream and did not add much sugar at all to the mixture. There was so much beauty in the chocolate cake and fruits that sweet icing would have taken away from all that. Faith seemed to enjoy it very much which of course makes me a happy duck.

I had so much buttermilk left and it’s one of those odd items that you only use for one purpose. Therefore I decided to make a cake for a small UFC gathering this past Saturday. Mike and Jenn (sibling and beau) managed to snag a piece of Faith’s cake and loved it, so they requested the same thing. The only thing is that strawberries are not in season so they are scarce and expensive. So this one was sans berries.

I made it festive for Saturday and rooting for my favorite fighter of the night – Forrest Griffin. Oh, by the way, did you know that his name is spelled ‘Forrest’ with 2 R’s (I didn’t!). Did anyone watch the fights? My absolute favorite moment was Cheick Kongo and Mr. Turk got into a battle of the groin kicks. Hilarity! I should make a French dessert for the GSP fight next month. I did always want to try macarons even though those are so not aggressive cookies.

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. December 31, 2008 1:25 pm

I was wondering if you would ever be interested in becoming a featured publisher with Foodbuzz.com? If so please conctact me at lizstambaugh@yahoo.com

2. January 6, 2013 4:15 pm

So, let me get this straight, Dan:1. It’s OK to (a) coarpme the citizens of entire states of the US to Islamic fundamentalists, who are widely known for imposing Sharia on their people, forcing women to dress a certain way by law, permitting women to be beaten, even killed for the crime of being raped and unable to prove it with a sufficient number of male witnesses, who are widely know for supporting terrorism and producing the bulk of the world’s terrorists, who have intentionally killed innocents by the thousands in the most horrible ways and have expressed the desire to do so again and again, and who run the world’s most undemocratic and benighted countries, and (b) say something as plug ignorant of not only these facts but of Islam and Christianity too as “fundamentalist Christians and Islamists are spiritual soul mates. 2. And, all the while doing this awful disparaging of Americans concerning their purported ignorance of science, showing to the reader that English grammar is not exactly your strong suit is also hunky-dory,BUT, pointing this simple fact out is verboten?OK. Noted. Disparaging commenters = bad. Disparaging groups = OK. Seems simple enough. I shall endeavor to comply.

• August 6, 2013 7:02 pm

A response from the scoohl tech support. 1. This means that teachers need to expect to work with IT to shape a viable fix. Chances are it will be time consuming and there will be a good bit of trial and error. 2. We do, just remember the scoohl is not home. We need to accommodate a classroom worth of users times the number of computer classrooms simultaneously. We also do have other parts to our job, we can only make it to a classroom when there is time available. 3. We won’t pick on you if you don’t pick on us. Yes, we do know what you say about us. 4. We’re IT people, we do computers and electronics not necessarily learning environments. We try, but don’t expect exceptional things without some help. 5. We do the system, you educate kids. We don’t read minds, if you have a problem, talk to us. We will try to accommodate you, but we need to keep things working well for all users, not just you. 6. Agreed, as educators, you need to have a plan B for when the network may not be cooperating. Trust me, we didn’t break it just to make sure you have a bad day. 7. We’re happy to teach, don’t expect us to do everything tech for you. 8. Ask for clarification if you don’t understand something. We have found that people don’t like when we dumb things down too much. You expect the kids to ask if they don’t get it, we expect the same from you. 9. Yes, but far too many of you think of the filter as a safety net that will prevent kids from finding the bad stuff . Trust me, they do it anyway, when your not looking. We don’t like filters any more than you do, but CIPA forces us to have a filter. Unless you want to spend all day digging through logs looking at sites, we have to leave some of it up to a filtering company. 10. Gladly, then you will realize what’s involved in making things happen.

• August 29, 2013 8:21 pm

love the pics! your mom looks exactly the same as she did 20 years ago. you both look great! my mom LOVED her necclake btw, thanks again!

• August 30, 2013 5:11 am

ဘေလာ႔ဂ္စေရးတဲ႔ အခ်ိန္ထဲက ကြန္႔မန္႔ေလးေတြနဲ႔ အၿမဲအားေပးလာတဲ႔ ဘေလာ႔ဂါ စီနီယာ သူငယ္ခ်င္းကို အၿမဲေက်းဇူးတင္လ်က္ရွိပါေၾကာင္း။ စာေလးေတြ၊ အက္ေဆးေကာင္းေကာင္းေလးေတြ ေရးတတ္လို႔ အၿမဲလဲ အားက်လ်က္ရွိပါေၾကာင္း။ ပံုနွိပ္ေဖာ္ၿပခံရတဲ႔ စာေလးေတြအတြက္လဲ သူငယ္ခ်င္းအတြက္ ဂုဏ္ယူလ်က္ရွိပါေၾကာင္း။ဘေလာ႔ဂ္ကင္းရင္း စာေလးေတြ ေရးရင္း ေပ်ာ္ရႊင္ပါေစဂ်ာ။

• March 2, 2014 6:17 am

Most of the terms in a no-fault insurance QuotesChimp stay the same as in a fault coverage. The important difference is the personal injury protection coverage, known as PIP. The PIP piece of the policy contract pays for the no-fault advantages that are mandated by state laws.